11.29.2009

Mini Models!

I am still working on finishing up the larger scale (1/2" - 1'-0") models for my 12" figures, but I did manage to finish up the smaller scales yesterday.



The 3D printed models, using the MMAE Department's SLA machine. These are 4 options developed using the Rhino/Grasshopper script from below. The models are used as 3d diagrams, showing variation in structural patterns. The density of structure is derived from the width of the surface, so when it's thinner, there are more divisions. I will put these models (each about 3" long) on one of my final boards.


The 5 small models show basic shape options with different structural patterns. I realized when making them that the infinite library of shapes I had imagined was possible is slightly less than infinite- in fact, the library is quite restrained by several parameters, including: narrowing enough at at least one point to fit on the body, allowing at least 2 self-stable positions/arrangements, controlling center of gravity within a close proximity to the narrowed body connector area, conforming to or augmenting a natural body position.

You can see more photos here: The Picasa Album

No comments:

Post a Comment