9.09.2010

flights and fancies

In the last two and a half months,
I have felt at home in four countries, seven cities: Chicago, London, Oxford, Beirut, Istanbul, New Orleans, and Aurora.
I have met over 50 people who have drastically influenced my life, and whom I'm fortunate to call friends.
I have organized every book I own by color and height.
I have lost a computer and gained four dogs.
I have learned the beauty and the pain of 32 ounces when measuring daiquiris.
I have been a monument, a sloth, a tourist, and a townie.
I have taken almost 4,000 photographs.
I have painted a mural.


=====

Once I (eventually) feel settled enough to take on a project, I will review and edit my travel photos.
As for now, I am in a sort of freshman-hazing with RTA; the past two weeks have been office orientation, and I'm scheduled to make appearances somewhere every weekend this month. Today I "served" 12 hours.
But it's amazing. I believe in the power of this organization, and I feel useful, competent, and productive. The koolaid tastes great.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Laura!

    just read your latest post- sounds like soooooooo much fun-

    so, curious- what is RTA? I'm assuming a firm- where exactly? website? there are quite a few random 'RTA's out there-

    glad to hear you're doing well!

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Ben,
    RTA = Rebuilding Together Aurora, the non-profit I am working with during my year of Americorps service. It has been an absolute blast so far, and I feel so fortunate to have had this opportunity.
    Rebuilding Together is a national non-profit org that provides home repair assistance to low income homeowners. We mainly serve the elderly, disabled, veterans, and families with small children to bring substandard or unsafe housing up to snuff. You can check out my affiliate (obviously the best one! haha) at www.rebuildingtogetheraurora.com

    If you feel so inspire or inclined as to volunteer, there are several affiliates out in California, and I know a bunch of people in the Okland / San Fran area that could point you in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete