11.08.2010

Real life work

I am trying to be a good sport and to find the bright side of this, my very first, Construction Doc situation:
I am beginning to understand the frustrations of real-life architecture: the maddening back and forth between "drawer" and "builder" who can never seem to communicate in the same language. The builder does not understand that drawings take time. The drawer does not understand the all of the realities of a job site. The homeowner doesn't understand the process at all, but demands what they want.
It is so classic.

I really dislike this "in between" position.. I either want NO responsibility (just let me do a rendering) or ALL responsibility (I will dig the first hole and pound the last nail). I would gladly pitch in on the building process in order to better understand the realities of my drawings (and perhaps have a more satisfying sense of ownership of the project?).


Maybe I can make that a stipulation of my fee: I'll charge less if you train me in construction too.

No comments:

Post a Comment