1.05.2011

Quarterly Reflection

It is heartening when a tentative idea is met with overflowing enthusiasm. It is even more heartening when the project sounds fun, and meaningful, and has the potential to make real change. I’ve been feeling this way about my personal project… and although taking a few pictures of some old houses isn’t going to make Aurora a thriving, restored community, I’ve already begun singling out the homeowner’s I’ve met that have compelling histories, that would be the most interesting or willing to share, and who can tell the story of this community in exciting ways. There’s so much truth in saying passion is infectious. Since receiving support from Brandi, the photo teacher at the High School I’ll be working directly with, I’ve had 2 offers to come and speak “formally” about the awesomeness of AmeriCorps, and a handful of friends have pledged interest in helping out with the project.

I’ve also been feeling this way since my weekend in Twin Cities. Over beers at a trendy brewery near Erin’s neighborhood, I had the opportunity to connect with 3 outrageously passionate people pushing for change in the neglected neighborhoods of Minneapolis. They have big ideas, really big ones, the kind that are kind of scary, and definitely awe inspiring. But their passion is like electricity and you can’t help but get charged up when you sit down for a few minutes to just talk about the potential for the future. This is how real change happens: you’ve just got to charge up enough people.

These are the best things about AmeriCorps. I like the food stamps, I like the education stipend, and I like the way people pretend to be impressed when you tell them you “serve” with a non profit. But mostly I love the way I can stand behind what I do with my time, the freedom the program gives its members to do something daring, and the credibility the program gives a just-graduated-and-I-really-don’t-know-much kid to go out and do something new and put dreams into reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment