11.05.2011

Book Club continues

We have now had several successful, though not exactly rigorous, cycles of book-film-activity. I can feel my goals and intentions starting to appear on the horizon... Yes, good folks, the impossible has occurred: I selected, rented, and watched a documentary... on my own!

Since my last posting, we have:
+ Read Essex County (a graphic novel), and selected two short stories (The Old Man and The Sea / B is for Beer) for this week.
+ Attended an informal screening of short Chi Independent Film Fest "horror" flicks (we are counting this as a "film" although the majority of the evening was spent sipping beers and watching exceptional live entertainment)
+ Attended the Rocky Horror Picture Show (I think this also counts as a "film")
+ Carved pumpkins and had a slumber party.

Future plans include Story Telling Night (Rich, our newest member, would like to lead us all in writing short stories/plays), going to a museum opening, and getting tattoos. Not so sure about the feasibility of the last one...

My film suggestions for next week are:
+ The Day The Earth Stood Still (classic sci fi)
+ Brazil (Criterion Collection drama)
+ Cabaret (classic musical)
+ The Diving Bell and The Butterfly (foreign language award winner)
+ Born Into Brothels (the fabulous documentary I just watched)

No comments:

Post a Comment