1.07.2009

Waiting and waiting

Bags are packed. A bulgy garment bag and two suitcases for 5 months of travel.
The only step I'm sure of is this:
We will be on the airplane for 8 hours.
We will get off the airplane and it will be night.
We will go to the hostel we booked last night.

Will we sleep?
Will the breakfast be good?
Will I, in my delirium from all-day travel, get queasy when we drive on the wrong side, headlights glaring off damp roads and the dull chatter of BBC?

[After that, I'm not sure. We don't even have the next day planned, apart from checking in at ISH.]

I'm wishing life was like Harry Potter, and a house elf would come whisk my bags away and make my bed and organize a relaxing welcome.
Which is interesting; for as much convenience of technology we have to 'make our lives easier' and provide us with comforts of a warm, bright home, there is nothing that yet matches a good hostess. Comfort is not the mechanics of being cared for, but human empathy that accompanies it.

---
In my free time from packing, I've been brushing up on my British slang.
I'm working on growing my 'list of equivalents.' Right now they stand as:
suitcase = trunk = boot = rubber = Johnny*
However simple, I think that the trousers = pants = underwear will be most problematic (or hilarious)

*I would like to continue this one, but I'm not sure how!

No comments:

Post a Comment