8.26.2009

Start of Term.. err class

STUDIO==

I got into Werner Sobek's advanced studio on lightweight structures. We are designing a small, portable fabric dance theater for the German Expressionist dance style "Tanztheater."

This was my first choice, because it will be very hard, and we get to work with some really brilliant people. Sobek is a highly reputable structural engineer and brilliant innovator when it comes to sustainability. He is the director of ILEK, the renamed Institute for Lightweight Structures initiated by Frei Otto.

I suggest looking at the work of his firms on his website; basically, his vision of sustainability is one that pursues minimal energy through minimal material and structure. His buildings are nearly always recyclable, passive, and somehow beautiful.

----

I am taking a graduate symposium about the Avant-Garde. It is very closely related to the research and reading I've been doing lately for the rewrite of my AA HTS paper; we had one class, and it was fascinating. I think I'm most excited for this course because it is so anti-IIT. It is intellectual, based on reading and discussion, writing and analyzation. It's a pretty small class with an excellent teacher, and I'm excited to see where we end up at the end of the term.

----

My soc class also sounds interesting. We are discussing Technology and Social Change, how society was affected by shifts in thinking. It too is based on reading and writing, discussion and thinking, rather than exams, which is a huge relief to me. Unfortunately, the class is a bit larger and made up mostly of people that don't want to be there, so I'm not sure if the discussions will be very provoking.

----

CNC course is still on for Friday, but things might be changing a bit. Anyways, I can't go to the first class because Sobek is having a mandatory workshop, 10a-6p every day from Thursday - Monday [including Saturday and Sunday!]

It's already a busy start and I'm only 3 days in...

No comments:

Post a Comment