12.14.2009

Next Steps

Now that classes are over for the semester, I have a chance to sit back and.... freak out!
My thoughts throughout the semester on what to do after graduation have tended towards a non-design job with something like a non-profit. Ideally, I thought, I would work with an NGO, do research and learn how to write grant proposals, learn how to run a successful business organization, and hopefully gain focus and clarity on the path in architecture I'd like to pursue.
However, recent conversations have had me second guessing this.... and reconsidering grad school as the next step.

I'm just still not sure exactly what I'm looking for. I want to find something that combines my interest in small projects, really tangible things, research, teaching, history and theory, community, materiality, and making. What does this equation add up to?

I've been afraid of leaving academia (because I love the freedom, constantly learning, and the intense discussion)... and I'm not sure if that means I am just still in love with being a student, or if that means I really want to stay in academia.

I've started looking for grad programs and (unfortunately) the deadlines are closing in. I have only a few weeks (if I choose to apply) to get everything ready and submitted. Time is ticking!

However, a few that I'm pretty interested in (at least from what I can gather from the websites) are:
Oxford Brookes - Development and Emergency Practice
Architectural Association - Design + Make
UT Austin - so I could work with the Center for Sustainable Development

No comments:

Post a Comment