1.28.2010

Interfaith thoughts


Wassily Kandinsky; Yellow, Red, Blue (1925)

An interfaith community brings peoples of different faiths, from Christianity, to Muslim, Judaism, even Pagans, together to share their spiritual lives. It is a union of disparate parts, a community of souls seeking love and truth. Like Kandinsky's piece, an interfaith community could be seen as a chaotic mix of random, nonsensical elements- but when read together (correctly), the community begins to make perfect sense as a harmony of spirits, as the painting becomes a composition of visual music.
The challenge architecturally is to create a divine space without icon, symbol, or reference; to create a sanctuary in the city accessible and inviting to all people of faith.

So we must ask: What is the architecture of the divine? How do we express a purity of spirit?

For me, it is a meal shared with friends, sunshine on my cheek, a small quiet place, a livingroom and a small group, a tall narrow cavern and a haunting melody, sitting among trees at sunset, listening to a waterfall on a clear day...

These are my elements. The site is my canvas. I am painting a collection of souls.

3 comments:

  1. well then you should leave chicago, because there's no sunshine there. haha. but i love this kandinsky parallel but what's the purpose? i still want to know, what's the purpose of a center that cannot be found in an individual's meeting place?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "i'm painting a collection of souls."

    on a totally non-related topic, have you ever heard of a "god complex" ? hahaha. just kidding sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha Mike... let me have my own little piece of total control! Jeeeez.

    The Kandinsky painting is one of the pieces I looked at for our first short design project this semester. I'm trying to find the parallels between what we did the first week and where I want the project to go... hopefully to help me create some parameters, or general rules, for how I work out the spaces.

    ReplyDelete