2.22.2010

scale and process

I'm beginning to realize that I will likely go the entire semester kicking and screaming and moaning about the process imposed by my professors, and then want to immediately take it back.
Evidence #1: the acrylic box model. I was horrified when we all had to create the exact same "shelf" model, with a given size and structural grid. I thought our projects would all turn out the same - uninventive, without personality, boring. I thought I would hate the process.
But I was wrong. The shelf model is an incredible way to initially start out organizing space - you work through section, elevation, and plan all at the same time. Instead of getting stuck in the 2d, you are immediately thrown into the 3d. There is no way to avoid space.

Evidence #2: the 16th facade study model. I thought it was too early and that drawings should be made.
I was wrong. Again... a physical model says so much more than a drawing or digital model. The space is so much more tangible.

Evidence #3: the 1/8th model. I am still not done (currently working). I thought it was too early to go so large.
But my god, was I wrong! Working at different scales simultaneously tells you so much more about the space. I have never built such a large model before. It is 20"x20"x12" and you can literally get inside the space. And I'm realizing there is so much that needs changing.


So here's what I've learned so far:
-Avoid getting stuck in the 2d by jumping directly into the 3d. But let it be meaningful (based on plan) and changeable (so you don't fall in love with one iteration)
-Work at different scales... big scales, small scales, and drawing... all at the same time. Significant issues can be caught and adjusted early on in the process, before it's too late.
-Spend personal time thinking about experience and emotion, but don't get caught up in it. You can find it in the things you've done, but get something out there first.
-The lasercutter is your friend.


Pictures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment