2.28.2009

This Week's Work 06

I have not been feeling so well the last 2 days... probably a result of over-working, sleeping little, and eating poorly. I've tried to catch up the last two nights, but still feel drained. Maybe it's the 2+ coffees I have a day... hm... Trying to curb that!

I'm to meet up with an IIT friend tonight for drinks, but I"m also missing out on a really cool 1920s prohibition party.

The internet has been down at school, so while this is excellent for productivity, it also further removes self from knowledge of life outside our tiny white space. It is a 'burden' to leave the attic room at all when working, so on days that we have crit, a handful of us will arrive in the morning and stay for a solid 12 hours. We might leave the building twice. And then you walk home, famished, searching for any signs of food places being open, and eat a junky meal and then go home... sometimes to work longer, sometimes to finally stop and sleep. Usually to work longer.

My roommate leaves next week. I really like her, so this will be sad... it's been nice to have someone to talk to at night. (and who only sometimes tells me to stop and go to bed)

-----------------Studio-----------------
Our crit was moved to this coming Wednesday, with even more expected, so there is a great push (and a thus the not sleeping) to get as much done as possible. I have part of a model complete... one of three pieces.... I still need to plot drawings, hopefully make a NEW drawing, and glue all the model things together.
It takes an infinitely long amount of time to get the strange shapes I'm making. It is tedious. And I dream about doing it.

-----------------The-Deep-End-----------------
Had a private tutorial on Wednesday morning, and he was quite surprised and enthused about the photos I took the last two weeks (the strange and super hero ones). I wrote a little bit about the story line, and we will be developing our narrative over the next two weeks.

-----------------Architecture-To-Architecture-----------------
Mark Cousins came and talked to us. There was little history OR theory discussed, but we touched briefly on the consequences of computing, "What is architecture?," and possible ways to re-engage students in theoretical discussions.
It is funny... one fault of architectural education is that it teaches its students to be excessively critical of everything they see and experience. Thus, every school's coursework and administration befalls constant accusation from disgruntled students. This is true, even at the AA, which is excessively liberal, has no defined coursework, and is almost entirely student-run.
I could hardly keep from laughing or crying out in frustration when members of my class said things like:
"I feel so limited by this reading list. It's like a syllabus. What if this is not what I find interesting?"
"What if I reject the reading?" [the reply to which was: "You have to read a text before you can reject it"]
This led to people arguing over Facebook (and having to explain to Mark Cousins what facebook was... he called it "Disgusting!")
It went on for 2 hours or so. Easily the most lively discussion yet.

-----------------Shaping-Seams-----------------
Did our file for the CNC at the wrong size and have yet to fix it. Oops.

-----------------Other-Life-----------------
Dance on Monday was pretty good. Not fantastic by any stretch of the imagination; there was a birthday party there and the band was from a uni, so there were tooooons of people that didn't know what they were doing cramming the tiny dance floor, flailing about. It's actually quite dangerous, and I was propelled several times into elbows and other moving objects.
I went to the Science Museum with Iain on Tuesday (I think?). Once a month they have an "adult late night" where they stay open til 10, serve drinks and food, and have live music on every floor. It's only for adults, and the place was PACKED. It was so funny to see businessmen in their suits throwing lentils into a giant Lentil-moving-machine.. or playing with little sailboats and a wave machine. I wish I had had my camera! We met up with my roommate and her Brazilian friend, then went to a small cafe after for superjuices. The man sitting next to us must have thought we were on a date, because he kept staring in our direction and then bursting into song. Things like "The first time our eyes met, I knew it was loooooooooooooooooove"
It was awkward.
As we were leaving, he asked me about my boots, and had obviously been eavesdropping because he said "Did you get them in Chicago or Buffalo?"
Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment