5.06.2009

(more) Lines and Leather

This past week most of our studio went out to Jas MB's studio and warehouse where we fondled huge walls of leather and were laden with gifts. It was, essentially, all of my dreams come true: a large studio space (a little disordered), purses and fantastic things everywhere, the heavy scent of dust and leather. Jas is an incredible person; a talented designer and exceedingly generous. He is one of those people that makes life and success look easy. It's hard not to be jealous, but it's more impossible to dislike him at all.

We spent the morning picking out scraps of leather we wanted, rummaging through sample bags and his entire collection of work, crawling over bags of ancient fabric samples, and trying on vintage leather coats (of which he has hundreds). It was such a fun day and I ended up with far more than I expected (and should have gotten) for only 140 pounds.

There were one-of-a-kinds, almost all hand made, and super affordable designer things from his old shop. I purchased my first designer bag!

And this should probably be my self-forseen warning- pandora's box is now open.


Otherwise, studio has been boring because I've continued to draw lines for the last week. I am done with my model (see below!), nearly done with my plan plate, and getting started with my collage.
Would have 3d printed my lattice today, but it was too expensive for something unnecessary, so I passed it up. If needed, I'll do it once the collage is done, but I doubt that will happen. I can't justify spending 80 pounds on a little piece of plastic that will either be broken, lost, or stolen in 3 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment