3.28.2009

leathergoods = love

The Camden Harvest:

Mike and I made the trek to Camden market this morning, not sure what to expect, and were much delighted to find an infinite labyrinth of amazingly cool stuff. The best part is that everything is affordable and trendy.

First stop-
Aldo Sale shop (basically an outlet) where everything was 50% off the already reduced price. I got these amazing beauts for 15 pounds-


Second stop-
A little shop selling hand-made leather goods, like sketchbooks, rings, homegoods, etc. They had an entire wall of leather-bound books in all colors and sizes. A little expensive, but not outrageous.
I got a changepurse and book because I've been really needing something to put all my coins and cards in that is small enough to fit in a pocket.



Third stop-
Mousty "the leather man"'s leather belt booth. I had found a cool belt at another booth about 30 min before but had passed it up because I didn't think it was worth 20 quid. After shopping for dresses and not finding anything, I was heading back to the belt booth to try to bargain with the guy. On the way, we passed Mousty's and I poked my head it.
This guy is amazing.
He hand makes all of the belts in the shop, and invites you to come try them on. All colors and styles. He custom fits the belt to you, and shows you how to wear it. The belt I got can be worn in 3 ways, fits me perfectly, is incredibly comfortable, and is super high quality. And it was only 20 pounds.
I have found the ultimate belt!
He made a completely custom belt for Mike in 10 minutes... stamped his initials into the leather, turned a semi-girly belt into a pretty awesome guy belt, added a bit of tasteful decoration... for 15 pounds.
He is the ultimate belt maker!
Anyone who wants one... I will gladly go back for. Just send me your measurements! =)





We spent several hours wandering around, eating a bit of lunch. It was incredible, all around. It is a dangerous place... I could spend all of my money there so easily.






----
As of Now:

Back home; it is raining now. Perhaps we will start to see the fabled endless London rain! I have a few things left to get in preparation for Moscow, but we convinced Monia to not have tutorial on Monday, so I am in full vacation mode. =)
Going to a 1950s swing dance party tonight and get to wear my new shoes! Justin, a dance friend, is back in town from NYC this weekend and invited me to the party last minute. Should be fun!

----

Arabian Nights:

Last night was the annual AA party. Each spring the first years put on a big party for the school [at least I THINK the first years do it...]. The lecture hall was swathed in giant crimson curtains; the south jury room was retrofitted into a swank bar; the north jury room was full of painted low tables and cushions; all of the lights had islamic-geometry laser cut shades; there were carpets everywhere; the balcony was packed with people mingling over drinks and hookah; the DJ blasted thumping arabic-inspired dance music.
Although it was supposedly "lame" in comparison to previous years, it was by far the best school function I have ever been to. Compared to the awkward and astoundingly awful socials they throw in Crown every few Fridays, this bordered more on fantastic night-club than anything else.
Almost all of the VSPers were there, and we danced and actually socialized between studios for the first un-forced time. It was so much fun!

---

No comments:

Post a Comment