3.23.2009

This Week's Work 09

A bit late, but better than never

I spent the weekend working and relaxing; I tried to minimize my socializing to 0 days, but instead wound up spending most of Sunday absorbing the warmth and sunshine in both Regents and Hyde parks. I worked late both nights, but have some good work to show for it. It wasn't painful at all [then] because I actually felt like working! Now, however, is a slightly different story, and I'm wishing I could curl up in bed.
I need to do laundry. real bad.
I went to coffee with Iain on Thursday and had a good talk about the British education system and various other historical / political policies of the UK. I swear, coffee with Iain is like a class in itself .
Unfortunately, I'm back to feeling under the weather, and I'm not sure whether to blame allergies or my excessively dry room, or the shift in weather + stress... but I'm getting a bit tired of always feeling ill.

-----------------Studio-----------------
After my cry for help, Monia replied with a dense, supportive email nearly as long as the one I sent her. I'm feeling very positive about my project at the moment, but that could be because I've just come from a successful practice-crit. I spent most of this week and weekend building up my site plan / planning diagrams that explain how my veggie mass is overtaking half of south London. The semi-crisis I had earlier was a result of having too much time tot hink while producing a fairly boring image. I have, however, worked out most of my files for the CNC (due Thursday morning) and have my whitebook (which is sort of a glorified sketchbook chronicaling our work) in order for the REAL crit on Wednesday.
We've been given the schedule for the rest of our time here, and post-Russia is going to be intense.
For two weeks, we have studio Monday - Saturday, 11 hours each day. It is mandatory "workshop" time, so we will likely be doing a mix of digital tutorials (learning Maxwell and Photoshop painting and nifty things like that), model work, and regular one-on-one tutorial.
Anyways, it will be a solid month of nothing but studio, as our elective courses have all officially ended.

-----------------Deep End-----------------
After spending an obscene amount on printing, and staying up waaaay to late putting my photo portfolio together, I turned in my submission this Wednesday. I feel pretty good about it, even though I never took the final photo. However, as it is unusual to get your submission back, I will have to do some convincing and begging to make sure I have the portfolio back before I leave. I'm not reprinting that.

-----------------Architecture to Architecture-----------------
I met with one of the tutor / TAs today to discuss my paper topic... and spent a good 2 hours (yikes) trying to narrow down my interests in architectural morality. As of now, I think my paper will discuss whether or not the morality of an architect manifests itself in their built work, and how we might determine this through their consideration of subject/user, consideration of builder/context, and selection of work.
Ethics is a big, heavy topic.

-----------------Lectures-----------------
This week, feeling sporadic, I went to the CERO9 presentation. Cero9 consists of a trendy spanish couple, keepin it real. Their projects are aesthetically and conceptually diverse, but all very contemporary, and they obviously have a lot of fun. The lecture was entertaining and pretty interesting, even though it was just a brief run through of a few of their projects. They do lovely things like rose covered power plants. They ended the lecture with a short animated video about the creation of their firm... a little risque, a little perverse, a little perfect. The crowd loved it.


Rose covered power plant by Cero9

No comments:

Post a Comment